Reverie


Reverie - n. a state of being pleasantly lost in one's thoughts; a daydream or fantasy; a visionary or impractical idea

"To make a prairie it takes a clover and one bee,—
One clover, and a bee,
And revery.

The revery alone will do
If bees are few." - Emily Dickinson

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A Love Letter

When I find a jar of really good honey, I guard it selfishly. 
This is not the honey for tea, or baking, or any other use that would mask its personality. 
This is raw, local, from-the-beekeeper honey (thank you Beeman).
Really good honey should be eaten on its own -
                                                                                             
sliding off the spoon,
dripping down your fingers,
licked from your lips. 

I can taste where the bees have been, their hours in the sun, and their dedication to craft.   
I can taste the spirit of the bees, and sometimes that of their keeper.

I don’t drink coffee, but I do eat really good honey - every morning, sliding off the spoon. And I feel a bit of the bee’s magic spends the day with me.